9/05/2006

Ode to Joy - A Key West Sunset

The above image is of a herring gull gliding over a Key West sunset which I think fits the theme of today's post.
The other day, while driving with my 7 year old son, Beethoven's Ninth Symphony came on my satellite radio receiver. Yes folks, South Florida does not have a classical music station. We have enough hip hop and urban stations to eliminate civilization as we know it, but not one bloody classical station. In all honesty, the radio market in South Florida is geared towards those without brain cells or without functioning auditory nerves. So I got a satellite receiver in my car which offers me all types of music including three classical stations. So as I am driving and listening to the Ninth, and explaining who Beethoven is to my son and what a symphony is, I finally reach the last two movements of the work. It had been a while since I had listened to it. But everytime the effect on me is immense. The Ninth is without a doubt the greatest work of music ever written by man and it will never be surpassed. Many say it was really written by God using Beethoven as his scribe. I would not doubt that. I was amazed that my son sat quietly and actually listened to it and liked it. There is hope for mankind. Anyone who does not feel an overwhelming sense of emotion and joy after listening to the Ninth, is either dead, deaf, or an abysmally ignorant dolt with a negative I.Q. (Note: if you haven't heard the ninth on headphones in the dark, you should. It will ease all the pain that troubles your soul.)

So infidels, while I spend another day staring at the raindrops, you can sit for a moment and read the words to the greatest musical work ever written (translated in English)

---------------------------------------------------------
Joy, bright spark of divinity,
Daughter of Elysium,
Fire-inspired we tread
Thy sanctuary.
Thy magic power re-unites
All that custom has divided,
All men become brothers
Under the sway of thy gentle wings.
Whoever has created
An abiding friendship,
Or has wonA true and loving wife,
All who can call at least one soul theirs,
Join in our song of praise;
But any who cannot must creep tearfully
Away from our circle.
All creatures drink of joy
At nature's breast.
Just and unjust
Alike taste of her gift ;
She gave us kisses and the fruit of the vine,
A tried friend to the end.
Even the worm can fell contentment,
And the cherub stands before God!
Gladly, like the heavenly bodies
Which He set on their courses
Through the splendour of the firmament;
Thus, brothers, you should run your race,
As a hero going to conquest.
You millions, I embrace you.
This kiss is for all the world!
Brothers, above the starry canopy
There must dwell a loving Father.
Do you fall in worship, you millions?
World, do you know your Creator?
Seek Him in the heavens!
Above the stars must He dwell.

1 comments:

micki said...

Wonderful post today! I think I'll go pull out one of my Beethoven CD's and give it a spin. Thank you.