9/25/2006

A Different Side of Sobe a/k/a South Beach



South Miami Beach © 2006 by Michael A. Pancier

I have concluded in my 40+ years as a pirate and infidel that Mondays are always the best days to stand up and be proud of being an infidel. The late John Phillips once wrote: "Every other day of the week is fine. But whenever Monday comes, you can find me cryin all of the time." There are many who share John's grief. I say it is time to change the tune. Get a grip folks. Mondays are not a time to cry. They are a time to proclaim: "I'm an infidel dammit, and I don't care who knows it!" As the great soothsayer, Jimmy Buffett, once noted: "Someone's got to talk about accountability. Someone's got to raise some hell. It might as well be me." So I say to you all. It is up to all of us to raise some hell and be proud that we are infidels. And we will not cower and shall never surrender against those forces that are out to destroy us and our way of living.
South Beach Lifeguard Stand - © 2006 by Michael A. Pancier
And with those fine words to ponder, we will begin the week with a different side of South Miami Beach. There are those who only picture South Miami Beach as the playground of the hoi-polloi, glamour, Paris Hilton, and the very colorful creatures of the night. But despite its decadent reputation, it shows a different face in the early morning when the creatures of the night are back in their cavernous crypts awaiting for the sun to disappear beyond the horizon. For as an infidel and a creature of the light and the golden morning hour, South Beach provides many photographic opportunities that you will not see in Ocean Drive Magazine.

South Pointe Park - South Miami Beach, Florida © 2006 by Michael A. Pancier

2 comments:

Pete Moss said...

the comment thingy doesn't seem to be working too good today. I remember when there was nothing but a rusting old water tower where those buildings stand. Fantastic colors as usual.

Anonymous said...

I tried to leave a comment earlier with some witty wisdom but it's gone now.

I love the different views of South Beach, particularly the first.