9/01/2006

The Ocean, Cuban American Labor Day BBQ & the Best Mojito



Well folks, it's Friday once again. Myself and my fellow infidels here in South Florida endured a dud called Ernesto this week. Although, Ernie ended up gaining some strength in the Atlantic and has nailed the Carolinas and the Mid-Atlantic states. Hence, some of my infidel friends up in that part of the Country will likely have a lot worse weather than what we experienced here in Florida this week. I've not taken much images this month, in fact, I've not taken any. But, I've gone through my archives (my digital darkroom), and have processed a lot of images, including many of the Ocean, Sand Dunes, Sea Oats, and of Clouds. These are the symbols of the Florida coast which must be preserved. While photographs are nice to look at, they are no substitute for the real thing. I hope you've enjoyed some of the images. I've got quite a few more I'll post in the next few days.

Today is also the 1st day of September and the start of the Labor Day long weekend. Labor Day is the last of the annual BBQ trilogy for American men. Along with Memorial Day and Independence Day, Labor Day is the last great BBQ for the year and the signal that summer is almost over. Although here in Florida, Summer lasts at least through late October and Early November. For me, Summer ends when the water is too friggin cold to get in and swim. For me, that means, if the water temperature falls below 82 degrees, that's it. Fall is here.

Now my Labor Day cook out is a Potpourri of American, Cuban, and South American influences. This means that my cook out will consist of skirt steaks (churrasco) marinated in mojo and my dry rub, Argentinian sausages, and chicken thighs and/or port chops marinated in mojo as well. Then of course, I throw anything else I can into the grill (boniato wrapped in foil on the coals or fresh corn on the cob) and if available portabella mushroom caps marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Of course, beer is the refreshment of choice and a cuban mojito. My recipe, I believe, is the best. Most bars around the country make mojitos too sweet. My recipe requires a mortar and pestle. I put a bunch of fresh mint leaves in the mortar with a tablespoon of sugar. I add a dash of seltzer and start pounding away until the mint leaf, sugar, water mixture is like a green paste which smells like mint gum. I then squeeze a bunch of fresh limes. For each drink, I require 2 oz of fresh lime juice which you add to your bar shaker with some ice. I then add 3 oz Bacardi Light rum. I only use Bacardi. Never use spiced or flavored rums. They will ruin the drink. Also, avoid those mojito flavored rums. They taste like swill. I then add 1 1/2 tablespoons fine sugar per cocktail or 3 tablespoons per 2 drinks. Shake well. Then, I strain the green liquid and pour it over ice in a mojito glass or tall bar glass about 3/4 full. Top off the drink with seltzer. The drink should not be too sweet but will be extremely refreshing for a hot labor day. You can go through a lot of these very easy, so be careful. If you don't mind floating mint leaf parts in your drink, you can avoid the strainer.

So have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend infidels. For those who are not planning to BBQ and are close to the beach, then by all means head out to the beach. As a tradition, I play my Beach Boys CD's on Labor Day weekend as I bid adieu to the official summer season. Finally, I leave you with the words of JFK which are quite appropriate to close off my week of images of the sea. Ciao!

----------------------------------------------

"I really don't know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it's because in addition to the fact that the sea changes, and the light changes, and ships change, it's because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, our sweat, and in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came." --Pres. John F. Kennedy, September 14, 1962, Newport, R.I.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Beautiful. Keep sharing your beach, ocean, sky, clouds, sand, sea oats... oh and lighthouses!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I have LOVED these Beach/storm photo's!

Thanks for making me hungry! heheheheh Your BBQ sounds wonderful!


We normally have a BIG on too on labor day but I am passing it this year and will have one in September instead.