9/28/2006

Big Cypress - Everglades National Park


It's getting near the end of the week infidels. And keeping with my current weekly theme, the Everglades, I offer you an image of a deer which are typical in the Glades especially in Big Cypress National Preserve which is part of the Everglades. This shot was taken off the loop road. The loop road is a 30 miles dirt road which turns off US-41 just west of the entrance to Shark Valley. It loops back to US-41 at Monroe Station, just west of the Everglades National Park visitor center in Ochopee, Florida. During the winter, driving along the scenic loop road and you will see all sorts of birds, gators, otters, and deer. The Florida Panther also lives out in these parts, but chances are that you will not encounter one since they are nocturnal creatures. In Spring, you will also see swallow tailed kites flying up above you. So drive slowly and keep your eyes open.

The loop road takes you through the Big Cypress Swamp which has a plethora of cypress head and drawf cypress. Makes good photo opportunities as well. Since you must drive the loop road, you can enjoy it in the air conditioned comfort of your car. There are no facilities along the 30 mile loop, so make sure you do your thing before you begin the loop. A map of the area is included below. Hopefully I'll see y'all in the swamp.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man I'm telling you, you keep up with this Everglades talk I may bankrupt us to get there sooner LOL

Michael Pancier Photography said...

you're always welcome here Doris. Head on down during season and fabs, alfred, and I will make sure you see the best of the glades

Anonymous said...

Wow, excellent portrait.... You do make the everglades beautiful.

Pete Moss said...

Is that the key deer? I always see signs beware of the Key deer but never see any. I may bankrupt myself and finally get me a nice camera for Christmas. I also want a laptop. Can't decide which one I want more.

Michael Pancier Photography said...

Pete, this is just a regular deer. The Key Deer are much smaller. Pete, I'll sell you some of my gear if you want.