9/04/2006

Labor Day 2006 and the Best Yuca & Mojo Recipe

Well Infidels, it's Labor Day, the last great summer holiday. After today, it's nothing but labor until Thanksgiving weekend. All you infidels are hopefully at the beach, or fishing, or drinking. I'll be at the grill today. But thus far here in South Florida, it's been bloody raining. Non-stop, I say. We were under a flood watch yesterday. Hell, we've had over 4" of rain yesterday compared to the 1/2 inch of rain with Ernesto we had earlier in the week. So no swimming for me thus far. But I did grill some pork chops with mojo yesterday as well as my famous yuca. Tasted awesome. I had mojitos on Friday and will have some more today, but yesterday, I had to settle for Coronas. Today, it's time to grill the steaks and eat some of the Yuca with garlic mojo I made yesterday

Here's my secret yuca recipe. I dare anyone to find a better one. First you get some Yuca (frozen is easier) and boil it in water and kosher salt until tender. While that is cooking, you have to make the mojo. The mojo is the trick folks. This stuff will make your house smell like heaven.
You chop up about a 1/2 cup of red onion. Then you use the morter and pestle to smash a lot of garlic. I usually use about 20 cloves until it is pasty and fragrant. The secret is to add a little salt to the morter and then smash the garlic. You heat up 1/4 cup of olive oil and when warm, add the onion. Let is simmer until it sweats and then add the garlic. Make sure it is not too hot, (if the garlic starts to burn, you messed it up) about med. heat. After the garlic starts to get a light gold color. Then add 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsely and 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano and fresh black pepper to taste. When the mixture is starting to just stick a tad to the skillet, then add 1 cup fresh squeezed sour orange juice. Raise heat to med/high and let simmer for about 12 minutes until you get a pasty/soupy consistency. When ready, pour hot over the yuca and enjoy heaven. My secret is how you handle the garlic. My way ensures the garlic is soft and sweet. If you chop the garlic or if you burn it, it will make the mojo bitter and too strong. (Folks you need to watch Alton Brown's garlic episode to understand).

My photo for today is a photoshop composite of the Anna Maria Island bay pier combined with a more exciting ocean. I'll title the image, "Labor Day."
Also folks, today is the big UM/FSU game so GO CANES!

Finally, sad news today. Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter died in a diving accident in Austrailia while filming a nature documentary when a sting way stuck its barb in Steve's heart. I found his shows amusing and he will be missed. Shows you how nature must always be respected. Steve survived crocs and cobras, but was done in by a friggin sting ray.

Rest in peace Steve and now you can enjoy the natural world from the otherside. Read the story here: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike - I thought that pier looked familar, but the water, not. It might be enough, though, for me to check the scene out there today. The red tide has been bad lately out on the island.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful composite and yummy recipe.

Sad about Steve Irwin, though.

Hope your weather improves (raining here, too).