9/13/2006

An Infidel's Abridged View of South Florida

I would have thought that yesterday's image of "La Peliroja Estudiando" from Flagler College in St. Augustine would have drawn more comment. Oh well, infidels. So today, rather than people, I will take you to some interesting places from an infidel's eye view of my hometown, Miami, Florida. There are many ingrates out there who like to call my home a Banana Republic (usually those with latent or blatent racist sentiments). There are many others who call this place a petri dish for the bacteria we call corruption (actually I just penned that phrase, but I don't subscribe to the position. I just thought it makes a nice allegory, no?) but that is usually by folks who hide behind their own foibles by focusing on others. In any event, South Florida has some interesting places for infidels and photographers alike. Most folks don't see these places or don't bother to notice them. So for my fellow infidels around the world, I offer you my abridged view of South Florida as seen through these eyes of a proud infidel.

View of Miami Skyline from I-95 North at Sunset © 2006 by Michael A. Pancier

View of Card Sound from Card Sound Road © 2004 by Michael A. Pancier


South Beach Morning © 2003 by Michael A. Pancier


Miami Children's Museum on Watson Island © 2004 by Michael A. Pancier

Well folks, as some yahoo once said, "there's art in them there hills." We we don't have hills here, but we have Tequesta Indian burial mounds, we still have some amazing coastal plains, and some interesting architecture (other than condos and glass office towers). An artist can find art in the most mundane of places and in South Florida. An infidel, who also happens to be an artist, can also find, inter alia, a decent watering hole when the lighting gets too contrasty. In fact, I like that idea for a photo essay. So any of you local infidels out there send me a list of your favorite watering holes, and I'll see if I can create a photo essay.

Semper infidelus as my friend Pete would say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Late night Big Daddy's -Coconut Grove.
Billabongs in Hollywood.
Foxes in South Miami.
And of course Tobacco Road.
Craw

Anonymous said...

OH I just love that first photo of the sky line at sunset! They are all nice but that one really wows me! I love the golden hue of all the buildings!

Anonymous said...

Excellent views of the place you call home.

I'm game, if ever in South Florida!! :)