8/29/2006

Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season


Well infidels, Tropical Storm Ernesto "Che" is coming off of Cuba and is in the Florida straits right now; over very warm waters. The sun is starting to rise over Miami, Florida and I have to debate with myself: (Shutters up or not?) ... Better to be safe perhaps? Doesn't take that long to put the bloody things up. I never packed them away after last years' hurricanes. But since we're only under a tropical storm warning (and hurricane watch), most businesses are still open. I'll be working from home though. Getting gas is a nightmare right now. As my friend Pete experienced yesterday, if you want gas, you're gonna have to go through hell and high water....http://wanabes.blogspot.com/2006/08/i-should-have-stayed-home.html#links
So I don't think I'll make the schlepp to Fort Lauderdale today so I could burn up more gas. After all, technology allows me to work from anywhere in the civilized world that has a high speed internet connection. In any event, my concern is more about the flooding. A lot of water expected with TS Che and my neighborhood hasn't quite grappled the concept of drainage yet.
My fingers will be cross for most South Floridians whose roofs are still messed up from last year. With all the expected water, things don't look good. So that's all for now. You can continue to get the latest tracking map here...
The above image was taken on the Gulf Coast of Florida during a tropical system a few years ago. For now, I'll leave you with the words of the Tropical Guru, Jimmy Buffett. That's all from paradise folks. I'm off to have my cafe con leche and start the preparations.

Lyrics by Jimmy Buffett

Squalls out on the gulf stream,
Big storms coming soon.
I passed out in my hammock,
God, I slept way past noon.
Stood up and tried to focus,
I hoped I wouldn't have to look far.
I knew I could use a Bloody Mary,
So I stumbled next door to the bar.

And now I must confess,
I could use some rest.
I can't run at this pace very long.
Yes, it's quite insane,
I think it hurts my brain.
But it cleans me out and then I can go on.

There's something about this Sunday
It's a most peculiar gray
Strolling down the avenue
That's known as A1A
I was feeling tired, then I got inspired.
And I knew that it wouldn't last long
So all alone I walked back home, sat on my beach
And then I made up this song.

Well, the wind is blowin' harder now
Fifty knots of there abouts,
There's white caps on the ocean.
And I'm watching for water spouts
It's time to close the shutters
It's time to go inside.
In a week I'll be in gay Paris;
That's a mighty long airplane ride

4 comments:

Gracie said...

Lovely photograph! I hope the hurricane weakens soon as you folks must be tired of the constant threats in that area.

Gracie

Bonnie said...

The ocean, she's a churnin'
The sky, she's threatenin'
The wind, she's a howlin'
Must be Hurrican Season.

Michael, be safe, don't take chances.

Great photo showing the mighty mood of the sea.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Photo!

I will keep my fingers crossed this will just be a little rain storm :-)

Pete Moss said...

Love the colors on that shot. Ernesto turned out to be a wimp. Thanks God. The most merciful...:-)