8/11/2006

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose

Well Infidels, another week has passed. For us in Miami, next Monday the kids go back to school which means really bad traffic in the morning and the official end of summer vacation. This sucks! When I was in school, we didn't start until the day after Labor Day. Such is school life in the 21st century. Also, this means that I now will have homework during the week when I get home from work. Let me tell you, the homework they give kids today is nothing like what I had when I was in the 2nd grade. They are literally giving second graders algebra, trigonometry, and quantum physics now. I have to call my friend the engineer to help me with this second grade homework. It's crazy I tell you. (No kidding, last year in my kid's first grade homework, one of the problems was to count the number of vertices on a 3 dimensional parallelogram which was drawn in 2-dimensions. That's some heavy stuff folks).
Beyond that, another week and Fifo and Raul are still missing. We'll have to wait a tad longer before we pop the champagne.
Now what does the title of this post have to do with my photo of the Jupiter Pelican? Nothing. I have simply had the song by Janis Joplin stuck in my head for days so I pulled out my Janis Joplin Greatest Hits CD and cranked it on my way into work this morning.
And now some words to ponder ...
"I'm exchanging molecules every 30 days with the natural world and in a spiritual sense I know I am a part of it and take my photographs from that emotional feeling within me, rather than from an emotional distance as a spectator." -- Galen Rowell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait tell they get to middle school and High school!!!!!!!!

I was told by my sons middle school teacher that they don't expect and really don't want parents to help with the math home work because it is so beyond what we did in Middle school!

I had high grades in school, but I tell you I feel very uneducated when looking at my kids school work these days. My oldest starts High school this year and I tell you I don't think I'm ready!


We still start after Labor day here, but we go longer in to the summer then a lot of places. We get out Mid June where I see many states get out mid may.

Bonnie said...

I quit helping with math homework years ago. She's beyond anything I learned and doing far better than I ever did anyway!!

School starts for high school on Aug 21 but ends earlier in May. Hard to believe summer is over but it feels it already. *sigh*

Love the quote and the photo.