10/16/2006

Life's a Real Beach!

Sanibel Seashore - (c) 2004 by Michael A. Pancier

Another Monday infidels. Today I was supposed to be on a plane to Las Vegas. I was supposed to see the Beatles "Love" show at the Mirage. And then...I was supposed to drive on Tuesday morning to see the great national parks of Utah. I was supposed to see Zion, Bryce, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, the Escalantes, ... the beauty of the Southwest. It was a trip I had been planning for years. I had my medium format camera ready with 10 rolls of Fuji Velvia and Fuji Provia slide film that has been in my freezer for years. My travel backpack. The works. But shit happens. Mom has heart failure on a cruise and it's open heart surgery time which God willing shall be successful. It shall be in the next few days. So, Saturday, I spent time on the phone cancelling the plane flight. Cancelling the night's stay at Bally's. Getting refund on the show tickets. Cancelling the rental. Cancelling the lodge in Utah and putting away my medium format camera. I was so close to getting there that I could almost smell and taste the mountain air. But as cruel as life can be, it throws a wrench into your plans when you least expect it. Now my thoughts are with mom getting through the surgery ok and getting better. And if I'm lucky, maybe I'll make it to Utah in the Spring. So rather than fall foilage, maybe I'll get shots of wildflowers. In any event, rather than photos of the Southwest on this photoblog, I'll continue to offer you images of the Sunshine State, and specifically, an image of the Sanibel Island Pier.
For those who are not so arrogant and like me accept the existence of a supreme being...your prayers are appreciated. If all us infidels make enough noise, the big cheese upstairs will notice.
See y'all later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try this again....

Michael, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I will Keep your mother in my thoughts!

Pete Moss said...

Same here Mike. Hope your Mom recovers soon.

Maria de los Angeles said...

Sorry to hear about your mom! Yes, thoughts being sent to the big cheese right now. Hope her recovery is speedy.