5/17/2006

Digital Art - Ode to my Elementary School Art Teacher



It is amazing what digital technology has wrought. All my like I wanted to be able to draw and paint. Unfortunately, all my images looked like drawings from a pre-schooler.

It was 1977. I was in the 6th grade. And for an art project at schoo, I attempted to draw what was supposed to be the Beatles live on stage playing Sgt. Pepper. It was a piece of crap. But my art teacher liked it so much she entered it into the youth fair. (I have a feeling she had a fondness for me ever since I ran into her at a symphony concert featuring a famous Czech cellist, who was from her home country). She was amazed that an elementary school kid, and one of her students, would attend the symphony. Of course I was with my parents. But since then, she took a liking towards me. My art teacher was Czech and had escaped the communist government following the Soviet takeover of Prague. She came to america to teach art to a group of kids. A beautiful human being.

I don't know where she is today or if she is still living, but who would have guessed that 30 years later, a shmuck like me could create watercolors digitally on a computer. This image is a digital photo from the beach at Marco Island. After my post processing technique in photoshop, it looks like a watercolor painting. So now thanks to technology, an infidel like me can finally fulfill his wish of being able to paint a watercolor, albeit without brushes and watercolors, but with a digital camera and a mouse.

So Ms. Bader, whereever you may be, this watercolor is for you. Somehow you saw artistic talent in a young boy that he would not know existed until he discovered digital photography and photoshop 30 years later.

1 comments:

AmandaDufau said...

Very cool picture!
It takes a special gift to be a good teacher. You are very lucky to have your Ms. Bader.